- At Watson’s Hat Shop we use the exact same equipment that has been used for making custom hats for well over a hundred years. By using forgotten hat maker’s trade secrets we build some of the finest pure beaver cowboy hats, Aussie hats, and fedora hats.
- Watson’s Hat Shop is the owner of one of the oldest hat shops in the United States that dates back to 1860 when Mr. Hand started Hand the Hatter which was located in Boston. Today we use that exact same hat making equipment to create our hats still today.
- Using only some of the finest materials when building a custom hat there are a total of 65 steps.
Please follow the 6 steps below for choosing your hat. When complete, give Watson’s Hat Shop a call and we will get your custom hat started. Because this is a custom hat, we always talk with the customer to make sure we communicate effectively, ensuring the customer will get the exact hat they want.
STEPS TO GET A CUSTOM MADE WATSON HAT
Come in and get a perfect sized custom hat the old fashioned way using a conformateur.
It’s just as easy to get the perfect sized custom hat from the comfort of your own home. Follow the video steps and send us the measurements so we can craft you a custom made hat just for you, and ship it to you anyplace in the world.
PICK A STYLE
A dress hat is more pliable and a lighter weight. A dress weight flexes to the hand and commonly found in a dress hat or Aussie hat.
The Cowboy hat styles are what has been worn in the past as well as modern day cowboys and cowgirls. A western hat is still found in various equestrian cultures, ranches, and rodeo arenas.
This style of hat is a cross between a cowboy hat and a fedora. Typically has less of a cowboy look, but still some of a western appeal without the brim being too wide in most cases like a cowboy hat. The weight an Aussie can be a dress weight or western weight. (Per request of each hat made)
A genuine Panama hat is hand woven from Cuenca Cane. This plant is found naturally growing at high elevations in the Andes Mountains of Ecuador. Panama’s are a completely different from a straw hat. They are much more durable and can be serviced for cleaning. A Panama hat has a richer look and does not absorb sweat like the cheaper straw hats do. Even over the time the look of a genuine panama continues to look great.
PICK A BODY
CUSTOM COWBOY / CUSTOM WESTERN (We offer 2 felt options):
- Pure 100% North American Beaver Fur
- Grizzly (100% European Hare Rabbit Fur Felt) Very Thick Strong Hat Body
CUSTOM DRESS Hat
- Pure Beaver Fur Felt
We offer 5 different Grades for our Custom Panama hat
- Grade 20
- Montecristo Fino
- Montecristo Fino Fino
- Montecristo Super Fino
- Montecristo Extra Super Fino
PICK A FINISH
The Copper finish is our basic finish. This is one of the best basic finishes on the market.
The Gold finish is one of our signature finishes. This finish has a great look and smooth feel. This finish is only available in pure 100X beaver fur felt. Available on Dress, Cowboy & Western Hats.
The Platinum finish has a velour feel with a rich tone. Sure to grab attention in the arena and protect you from the elements. Only available in pure beaver fur felt.
More details coming soon.
More details coming soon.
OPTIONS TO FULLY CUSTOMIZE YOUR WATSON HAT
We offer multiple crown options, some of them include:
- Center Dent
- Pork Pie
- Tapered Teardrop
- Western Teardrop
We offer multiple Brim options, some of them include:
- Aussie Roll
- Traditional Western
- Turned Down
We offer multiple brim width options including:
- 1″, 1 1/2″, 1 3/4″, 1 7/8″
- 2″, 2 1/8″, 2 1/4″, 2 3/8″, 2 1/2″, 2 5/8″, 2 3/4″, 2 7/8″
- 3″, 3 1/8″, 3 1/4″, 3 1/2″, 3 5/8″, 3 7/8″
- 4″, 4 1/8″, 4 1/4″, 4 1/2″, 4 3/4″, 4 7/8″
- 5″, 5 1/2″, 5 3/4″
Hat bands are available in:
- Horse Hair
We have three ribbon edges available:
- Kettle curl
- Ribbon bound
Our ribbon is available in multiple colors including:
- Espresso Brown
- Ox Blood
- Silver Belly
The ribbons are available in various widths. We have over 60 different colors of ribbon. Please call us for additional colors you may want.
Our Ribbon Line is available in several widths including:
- 4 Ligne
- 6 Ligne
- 9 Ligne
- 12 Ligne
- 16 Ligne
- 19 Ligne
- 22 Ligne
2 Cord is only available on the Custom Western Hat 2 Cord is available in multiple colors including:
- Dark Brown